Kindle

Saturday 6 April 2013

PASTORS' WIVES AND FIRST LADIES


I have just listened to an interesting interview about the office of the pastor's wife or 'first lady'. Before now I hadn't actively thought about it, but I remember that the few times it had crossed my mind, I thought it a bit odd whenever I saw a pastor's wife seated in an exalted position at the front of the church, sometimes in a throne-like chair. I must admit though that the first time I heard a pastor's wife referred to as first-lady I laughed out loud. It sounded ludicrous! This is what obtains in many pentecostal/charismatic churches.  

So where has this tradition come from? Does the fact that a woman is married to a pastor automatically make her one as well? Is there an office of 'pastor's wife'?

The interview has brought this issue to the forefront of my mind and in my opinion:

1. A wife does not automatically become a pastor just because her husband is one.       

2. A pastor should not arbitrarily ordain his wife a pastor. It is possible for the wife to have a calling, but the call should be from God.

3. A wife should support her husband in every way possible in his calling, but not as some kind of queenly figure with a special chair and an entourage!

4. There's no such thing as the office of first lady in the church.

Let's put an end to these unnecessary traditions!     

2 comments:

Thanks for your comment. God bless!